Fairhaven Fish Chowder
Author: Eat Local Fish Portland Maine
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 3 lbs hake
- 1 quart diced potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 tbspn. thyme
- 1 tbspn. marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ lb lean salt pork, diced
- 1½ cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbspn sage
- 5 soda crackers
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, simmer the fish in salted water and cool. Remove skin and bones if any. Save cooking water and set fish aside.
- Boil potatoes which have been peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes in the same water that was used for cooking the fish. Watch potatoes carefully and do not overcook or they will become mushy.
- Grind or chop the pork using a meat grinder or cleaver. Or slice the porink into ¼ inch pieces. Saute pork in a skillet until golden. chop onions and garlic and add continuing to cook for several minutes but do not allow to brown. Add this mixture to the potato in the stockpot.
- Add canned tomatoes, boil 2 minutes, then add the flaked fish. Boil for another 3-4 minutes and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Crumble soda crackers and sprinkle over all seasoning.