Spicy Redfish Tacos
Author: Sam Grimley, Sustainable Seafood Project Coordinator
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 - 5 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup light-colored beer
- 2 pounds skinless redfish, cut into 4 by 1 inch strips
- 12 corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- 1 cup spicy mayonnaise (mix 1 cup of mayo with 1 chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and 1 teaspon adobo sauce. adjust spiciness by adding more or less adobo sauce)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1½ cups diced tomato
- 1 avocado, skinned, cored and sliced
- lime wedges
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 200.
- Pour oil into a large, deep, heavy bottomed pan until oil measures 3 inches deep.
- Heat the oil over medium0high heat until it reaches 375 degrees
- While oil heats, whisk the flour, salt, cumin, black pepper and cayenne together in large bowl.
- When the oil is almost ready whisk the beer into the flour mixture until completely smooth.
- Wrap a stack of corn or flour tortillas in foil and warm on a baking sheet in the oven while fish fries.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels.
- Add half of the fish to the batter and coat.
- Use tongs to transfer fish from batter to hot oil
- Fry fish, stirring the fish gently to prevent the pieces from sticking together.
- cook till golden brown (5 minutes)
- remove fish and allow to drain briefly; transfer to oven to keep warm.
- apply spicy mayo mix to warm tortilla, add cabbage, tomatoes and avocados and 1-2 pieces of fish. Garnish with lime and cilantro.